Sunday, September 28, 2014

Feng Shui Your Classroom Series 3: Wind

Wind
One of the most challenging elements to bring into your classroom is wind. Instead I let Mother Nature do the work. When we have a beautiful fall day, I open the windows and let the fresh air pour in. I know some teachers do not have windows in their classroom. My suggestion for you is to use an artificial window. To create one take a beautiful poster or print and hang it on the wall, crank on the air, and pretend the wind is blowing through your classroom. You could even mount a salvaged window around it like a frame. I’ve seen these at architectural salvage stores or Habitat for Humanity.
            Sound is another way to capture the relaxing impact of the wind. I have a sound machine that plays: rainforest, thunderstorm, ocean waves, waterfall, etc. Imagine writing a journal about “The Fall of the House of Usher” while a thunderstorm plays in the background. It really puts you in a creative place.
Aromatherapy is another powerful part of the wind element. I freshen my room with a couple of squirts from one of those popular cans of air freshener I get at the grocery store. I usually hit the four corners of the room before the kids come in. They love it. I use an apple and cinnamon scent frequently and they tell me that it smells like Christmas. Your sense of smell is a powerful ally. When my students think of Christmas or their grandmother baking cookies, they are instantly put at ease. They feel comfortable and accepted and they will be more receptive to the lesson.

            Those plug in cartridges are cool too, but keep an eye on the refill. When it runs out it makes a slight burnt smell. Never use sprays around students with severe allergies. You could always bring in natural scent enhancers: rosemary, roses, cloves, cinnamon, oranges, etc..

No comments:

Post a Comment